Sunday, November 05, 2006

All about Belgium.!?:~*



Bonjour and zdrasti,
I have now been on the European continent. Eurostar through the chunnel = personal accomplishment, and a tic off the list of things to experience before I die. That being said, let me tell you about my amazing trip to Belgium with the lovely Lilia.

First off, I found a new language to learn. No, it isn't French or Finnish, as one would expect from a trip to the fabulous country wedged between France, Holland, Germany, and Luxembourg, but Bulgarian. Yes, I experienced quite a lot of Bulgarian in those four days of travel. You see, we went to meet up with Lily's parents, who were visiting family friends living in Waterloo, and all five companions spoke almost exclusively in Bulgarian, their first language. I was, of course, in awe and completely happy to cluelessly absorb anything and everything in a language I don't at all understand. So I loved that the conversation over the amazing 3-course meal our hostess had prepared for us immediately immersed me into new sounds. On top of that, our hostess was not only a kind and welcoming person, but also an AMAZING and generous cook! Herring-stuffed avocado, tomato and mozzarella, beets and garlic, roast rabbit, prawn-stuffed tomatoes, copious amounts of alcohol (Nazdrave! - meaning "Cheers!" and the most-used word of the trip), delctable ice cream, chocolate, cream puffs, and fruit desserts. I was so greatful for the kindness and warmth given me by Lily's parents and friends. It certainly helped relax and calm me after a week of wandering around London and re-acclimating to the city's eccentricities.

Nazdrave!!!

Solarium-dining room and the pond outside in Waterloo (complete with fishes - apparently the endangered local birds feast occasionally, much to our hosts' chagrin...)

Amazing dahlia in the garden..

Our first full day was spent in Brussels, a very beautiful and historically rich city. We visited Grand Place, the main square, complete with amazing gothic buildings, old rowhouses, and quaint chocolateries galore.

(note bright yellow tram in background)

Looking towards Grand Place from the hill

The impressive City Hall @ Grand Place in Brussels (now a museum)

Detail on the City Hall

Lily loves whiskers!

BELGIAN CHOCOLATE!

Gauffres chaude au chocolat et chantilly et fraises!!! (they really are best in Belgium)

First sip of Belgian beer

Lily loooooves waffles!

After wandering for a while, stepping in almost every chocolate shop we came across, "just to look," and stopping in for a pint, we meandered through the Museum of Brussels.
MORE BELGIAN CHOCOLATE!

In the museum, we found the complete wardrobe of the Mannaquin Pis, Brussel's mascot. There are many contested stories to explain the tiny bronze statue of this nude urinating boy... There also are a bunch of Mannequin Pis' around the country. One version of the story is that the son of a local aristocrat had gone missing, and was finally found peeing on the corner where the statue now stands, on the fifth day of the search for him. In this ill-defined story, for whatever reason, the townspeople decided to immortalize him in bronze miniature on that very corner.
Mannequin Pis - isn't he cute?

Another is that the young boy saved the city from imminent disaster by relieving himself on, and thus quenching, a lit wic on an explosive downtown. You decide which you prefer; I'll let you guess my choice. Lily and I referred to him affectionately and often as "the Pisser," which sounds better when she says it.


So basically, everyone loves the little dude (who wouldn't?), and he is dressed in various costumes (in varying levels of offensiveness and politically incorectness, depending on when they were made - the early "South African" and were interesting) by a non-profit organization called The Friends of Mannequin Pis. Adornments require celebration, ceremony, and huge crowds of drunk people, and each outfit has a little hole cut out so as to not obstruct the flow. Amazing.
Oh, the maturity..

Day 2 was spent in Bruge (or Brugge, depending on your preference), the Medieval hub, home to MANY beautiful churches, and vibrant streets. It's considered one of the prettiest cities in Europe, and for good reason! Check out these photos...

The streets in Bruge..

The historic Markt

Inside the Heilig-Bloedbasiliek (Basilica of the Holy Blood), "where a few coagulated drops of Christ's blood are kept and cherished"

Outside of the Basilica

Belgium's oldest stadhuis (city hall)

Houses by the canal

View of the canal architecture from a cafe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been to Belgium!!! I stood exactly where you were in front of mannequin pis! ;)