Monday, July 21, 2008

fiesta moroccan style...

Last weekend, I had the exciting privilege of attending the Sab3a ("Seventh Day") party for the infant nephew of a friend's extended family in Rabat. The party is traditionally the announcement of the baby, where s/he is named, her/his parents are celebrated and congratulated, and, basically, as I understand it, everyone has a grand excuse to party! Logistical reasons (ie: relatives coming in from Tunisia) required that this particular party wait until the baby was three months old - generally, it is held on the seventh day (hence, the name) after the baby is born (so this little guy was already named - Melik, which means "king"), but it was no less cause for celebration!


the little man of the night


The party stretched from 7pm to late into the night and, from what Zaynab told me, was reminiscent of a Moroccan wedding, but on a smaller scale. (Generally, depending on the family's means, hundreds of people - upwards of five hundred, even - are invited to Moroccan weddings! And they often last until 5 or 6am.) The backyard was beautiful, with white tablecloths, tents, carpets on the ground, and a live band. As were all the guests very beautiful in their intricate gowns (even the little girls!) and suits (some of the ladies shoes were particularly spectacular). Z loaned me one of her family's beautiful gold gowns to wear, and I was introduced to many smiling faces as her "friend from America" (although I caught Z's Mom and the baby's mother remarking at how Moroccan I looked! I was, of course, flattered.)


dancing to the live music in traditional gowns - i'm on the far left and zaynab is next to me


z's sister being hoisted in the air!

As the night ran on, women and children were hoisted, one by one, starting with the mother of the baby, into the air in a gold chariot-throne for good luck, accompanied by loud and lively music. And, as the party continued, some unlucky guests (and exuberant children) were thrown (fancy clothes and all) into the pool! Needless to say, everyone laughed a lot... even the sopping wet adults...


kids enjoy the pool (and, later, the cake)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really wonderful and fun night!

Unknown said...

What a glorious event. How fortunate for you that you are friends with Zaynab and got an invite! I love the baby's fez and the joy and pride on hid mamma's face. It is reminiscent of the wedding-like bash we had for you when you were Christened. Okay, we didn't have a pool or golden chariot, or a carpet outdoors, but we did have a huge bash complete with band and dancing! love, mom